We bet you all have heard about the plastic rice being widely circulated in Indian markets. There have been several videos that were doing rounds on social media recently describing how people are increasingly finding fake rice in the markets. While the plastic rice looks like the regular rice, it is very dangerous to your health. Even if the fake rice news is a hoax, it is very important to know the difference between healthy rice and plastic rice.
It can create some serious digestive problems as plastic contains phthalates. And this chemical could affect the hormones and can hamper the reproductive system as well.
Here are some tips that will help you identify plastic rice –
- Take a glass of water and put some rice in it. If the rice floats, it is fake, because the healthy rice sits at the bottom and does not float atop.
- Take a piece of rice, and try to burn it using a matchstick. It will smell like burning plastic if it is fake.
- Take a pan and heat some oil in a fry pan and try to fry some rice. If the rice is fake, the plastic will start forming a layer at the bottom, and if is not, the r ice is perfectly healthy to eat.
- Let the boiled rice rot for two days, and if you do not see any fungus, it is definitely plastic, because plastic does not rot.
- Boil some rice, and if you see a thick layer forming atop the container, it may contain plastic.
These tricks are very simple and can easily be done at home. Stay healthy!