The upcoming (Municipal Corporation of Delhi) MCD polls are of great significance. After the civic polls in Mumbai last month, now all eyes are on the elections to the three municipal corporations in the national capital.
The BJP has been ruling the MCD for last 10 years, and now, Arvind Kejriwal’s AAP and Congress are leaving no stone unturned to ensure their victory. After Congress’ defeat in the Odisha and Maharashtra civic polls, the party’s Delhi unit is doing everything it can to make sure they crack these elections.
After AAP losing its credibility over the last two years and BJP’s non-performance in Delhi, Congress is making sure that there are no loopholes as far as their effort is concerned in the upcoming MCD polls.
Delhi Congress chief Ajay Maken said that the party is well-equipped with whatever it takes to crack through the elections, and is quite sure that there are several things that will swing the tide in their favour.
Here’s what he said the party is doing to ensure the win, and what could turn the polls in their favour –
- Saying that the party was not under any pressure from previous losses, Ajay Maken mentioned that people will not support AAP as they have got an ‘absentee chief minister’ who does not have any interest in governing the city. He said, ‘AAP government has miserably failed in Delhi. Their intention in Delhi was not to govern. Their intention was to capitalise Delhi’s victory and spread their political wings across the country’
- Congress is making sure that they involve grass-root level workers in selecting candidates for 272 wards so that area-specific strategies can be finalised.
- Ajay Maken said that he has initiated a lot of measures to bring back enthusiasm among the party men.
- Congress is working on a plan to make all the three municipal bodies financially self-reliant by introducing tax reforms so that ‘huge pilferage’ in tax collection can be stopped, and things are more transparent.
- Maken said that BJP will face people’s wrath due to large-scale graft in MCDs and inefficiencies. He added that once coming into power, the party will order probe into allegations of large-scale corruption against BJP during its tenure.