You must have thought of jailbreaking your iPhones and iPads. But before doing that, you should know these important things about jailbreaking. As the name implies, Jailbreaking is just breaking out your phone or escaping from secuity parameters and manufacturer’s restrictions.It involves a privilege escalation attack on the iPhone that replaces manufacturer’s factory-installed OS with a custom kernel. It is just like rooting your android phone.
Apart from Apple devices, there are many gaming consoles, tablets and smartphones that have a restricted software of DRM (Digital Rights Management) software on them. DRM is for security purposes which is stirctly prohibited sets of software from the manufacturer. Jailbreaking these devices means hacking them to rewrite programme DRM restrictions that can allow users to run unauthorized and restricted softwares on the operating system.
In technical terms, it is a process of installing modified set of kernel patches on the device. It also gives users root-level access, which is otherwise not available on normal devices.
Advantages of Jailbreaking your device
There are some advantages of jailbreaking your smartphone
1. You will be free to use all apps and apple restrictions.
2. You can download apps and games from any store.
3. You can tether your Apple Mac with your iPhone and diverse your network.
4. You can even customize your phone’s feel and look according to your personality than rather being stuck to the limited options of the device.
5. You can avail alternatives to the default apps in iOS. These alternative apps even have more functionality.
What you loose while jailbreaking
1. You will voide the device’s warranty. Usually, the manufacturers are unlikely to be sympathetic if something is wrong with your device and you’re at fault.
2. Your devices will be vulnerable to viruses.
3. Your device may not work efficiently.
4. Although, jailbreaking your phone may seem appealing, you can face unforeseen consequences; the device might crash even more; certain apps and features may no longer work.
5. Jailbreaking your device is like a mouse and cat race. Every iOS update will break the jailbroken phone if you wish to update it. You may have to wait for updated jailbreak to be available.